I see interior designers constantly removing ceiling fans from rooms in print media & on television because they don’t like the way they look. I absolutely disagree with this practice, as I love our ceiling fans! They are practical on so many levels. Maybe it’s from growing up and living in the south, but I would never let anyone remove my ceiling fans. You don’t have to either, so here are my top ten reasons to keep yours when redesigning your room! Things to ponder – Happy Designing!
1. Ceiling fans can lower your cooling bill in the summer by moving the air within your room - creating a cooling effect.
2. Ceiling fans can lower your heating bill in the winter – reverse the blade direction on your fan in cooler weather by flipping the small switch on the outside of the motor casing. This keeps the hot air from rising away from you into your attic space. Just remember to switch it back in the spring!
3. They can be pretty! Manufacturers are constantly coming out with new designs – just replace the ugly one you have to match your new décor.
4. Ceiling fans can lull you to sleep in your bedroom. The whir of the blades & hum of the motor can act as a sound machine.
5. Ceiling fans clear out smoke quickly in the kitchen. Not admitting that I have ever burned anything, but if I did……..
6. Ceiling fans keep flying insects out of the room and at bay– they don’t like the air movement.
7. Summer in the South – humidity – I need no other explanation.
8. Keeps your air from getting stale & stagnant.
9. Really helps to get rid of bathroom & kitchen smells from cooking, food sources & poo more quickly.
10. Can give a really cool ambience when installed on a porch or screened in deck. Think old south, mint juleps, & bourbon on blue ceiling porches & the lazy rotation of a ceiling fan overhead.. – ahhhhhhh, pure bliss!